24th November 2021
Getting your property market-ready for 2022
January is historically the busiest month of the year on Rightmove for prospective buyers looking to make a move, so if you’re harbouring any thoughts of a move in 2022, November and December is the ideal time to prepare your home for sale and make the most of the new year rush.
Get a valuation
If you haven’t had your property valued yet, now is a good time to get some local estate agents round. We recommend getting at least two local agents to compare their valuations and see which agent you prefer working with and that gives you an honest valuation. Don’t always be swayed by the agent who gives you the highest valuation, as this can sometimes be a selling tactic to win the instruction.
A property that’s priced correctly will receive high levels of enquiries within the first two weeks of it going on Rightmove, and the right agent will negotiate the best possible offer price if you have several buyers who are interested.
Choose an agent who has in-depth knowledge of the local area and has sold properties that are in the same price bracket as yours.
Getting your property ready for photography
This time of year is ideal for having your home photographed before all the Christmas decorations go up and the gardens start to look a bit sparse.
The photography of your home and how it’s presented on Rightmove is key to attracting as many viewers as possible. You will therefore need to prepare your home for the market by doing some tidying and cleaning and declutter as much as possible:
- Keep kitchen and bathroom surfaces as clear and clean as possible
- Clear away any clutter, toys, old newspapers etc. so that the space looks as big and as attractive as possible
- First impressions are really important so make sure the front of your house looks appealing. Pay attention to outside areas, including making sure your lawn is mowed, hedges cut and borders clear of weeds.
- If any areas need repainting this can really improve how well your property presents and can be done so cost-effectively
- Add fresh flowers to your home to add freshness and a splash of colour
- Remove any limescale in showers or baths
- Clean the windows inside and out
- If carpets are dirty, invest in a carpet cleaner as this can really make a difference to how clean your property looks
- Carry out any DIY jobs that need doing such as fixing door handles, changing lightbulbs and replacing door hinges that have come off
Often it’s the little things that can make a big difference and by spending some time getting your property market-ready, it could pay dividends in how much you achieve on the asking price.
Preparing a property brochure
We will put together a detailed brochure for your property, complete with a floorplan and descriptions and measurements of each room. You will be asked to approve the property particulars before your property is put on the market. Don’t be afraid to ask for changes/additions if we have missed something in the description that you feel will entice potential buyers, or if you aren’t happy with one of the photographs.
Putting up a sale board
We recommend putting up a sale board outside your property as this often attract a high level of enquiries from local people in the area looking to move.
Do your own research
Carry out your own research on the current state of the property market so that you get an idea of how much demand there is and what property prices are being achieved in your area.
Our latest Autumn/Winter Market Insight report will give you some important stats to help you get a feel for the current supply and demand and what we expect to happen in 2022.
Start your own home search
When your property is finally on the market, it’s a good time to start your own house search for your onward move. Remember that depending on which property you choose to offer on, and how busy the property market is at time, your offer may not be accepted until you have an offer on your own property.
If you are thinking of moving in 2022, now is the ideal time to get your home market-ready so you can make the most of the new year frenzy on Rightmove.
Contact our friendly team today so start the process: 01244 346226.