18th February 2016
Are you ready for Rent Smart Wales?
Here at Matthew’s we are gearing ourselves up ready for the new Rent Smart Wales licencing scheme which comes into effect on 23rd November this year .If you need more information on this subject or would just like to discuss what you need to do with us, give us a call on 01244 346226.
Basically, if you let a property over the border in Wales, you need to register yourself as a Landlord and register any properties you let in Wales with Rent Smart Wales.
Also, if you carry out any letting or property management tasks yourself – even viewings or preparing an inventory, you will have to become licenced. A licence lasts 5 years.
£33.50 to register on-line as a Landlord and register your properties.
£144 for a Landlord licence plus around £140 to attend the full day training course or £30 to complete it on-line.
If you use a licenced agent you obviously do not need to be licenced yourself, just registered.
The letting activities requiring a Landlord licence include:
- Arranging viewings or showing prospective tenants around your property
- Gathering information related to referencing tenants
- Preparing or arranging tenancy agreements
- Preparing or arranging inventories
- Collecting rent
- Being the main contact for the tenant
- Arranging maintenance or repairs
- Arranging access to the property for any reason
- Checking the contents or condition of the property or arranging for them to be checked by someone else.
- Serving notice on the tenants
The only thing a registered landlord is allowed to do is appoint a licenced agent.
All our staff here at Matthew’s will be fully trained and our offices will be licenced well before the deadline so if you would like to speak to us about managing your property, I am sure we can negotiate an acceptable management fee for you.
To view more information on the Rent Smart Wales website click here