Commited to providing the very best possible level of service
When it comes to choosing an agent to market your property, it is important that you choose the agent that can provide you with the best level of service. Each landlord’s requirements are different, as are each of their properties. At Matthew’s we are proud of the unique services we can offer our landlords, and we believe they are unparalleled amongst our competitors.
We offer the following services to our clients:
- Fully managed: having a student property fully managed is ideal for those landlords who want take a step back and allow another to manage their investment, where practically all elements of the process are taken care of for you. Even those maintenance issues – in fact, we have a 24 hour maintenance team on hand ready to take care of any faults or issues that arise with your property.
- Rent collect: Happy to look after the property yourself, but just want the security of having us to collect your rent? That’s fine. We offer this service for those who prefer to deal with their tenants themselves, but still have the convenience of an agent collecting the rent and chasing arrears if need be.
- Let only: This service is ideal for those landlords who prefer to manage their own properties but need an agent to market the property and find them suitable tenants. We advertise on our website, Rightmove and OnTheMarket and have a fantastic database of returning students who have remained with our agency throughout their time at University.
- Additional services: If none of the above suits your needs, or you only require certain elements of our services, we can tailor make a service just for you. Simply contact Jane or Chloe on 01244 346 226 to discuss your requirements, and we will ensure we find the right service that suits you.
Ensuring you are complying with the correct, and up to date legalisation is essential when it comes to letting out your property. Our HMO professionals are always on hand to advise you on what measures you need to take to ensure you are complying with legislation such as legionella, HMO licencing, gas safety/electrical testing and fire safety regulations.
Considerations before letting
We recommend that you pay attention to the following considerations before letting out your property to a tenant. When receiving a rental valuation we will always take into consideration the quality, and finish of a property to determine how much rent you could achieve. Here are some helpful tips:
- Furniture – It is a common misconception that students will rent any property as long as it’s cheap. However, with the market becoming more competitive, we recommend you ensure all furniture is good quality to ensure you attract the right sort of tenants
- Decoration – Ensure you replace soft furnishings such as carpets, curtains and blinds regularly. You can expect there to be higher levels of wear and tear in a house share than a ‘normal’ let. We recommend buying good value carpets which are replaced as they become worn and redecorate regularly.
- Re-grouting – When there are several tenants sharing a bathroom, it is inevitable that a certain amount of re-grouting and re-sealing of showers is going to have to be taken care of. Ensure you do this before a tenant moves in to avoid mould and damp once the showers are in use.
- Cleaning – When a tenant checks into your property, it is expected that it will be clean and tidy. You don’t have to use a professional company, but we recommend a thorough clean on all areas, after all, your tenants will be expected to leave the property as clean as they found it when they vacate.
In order to ensure you maintain a good rental return, it is important to keep on top of the maintenance and presentation of your house share as there has been a lot more competition from purpose built student accommodation in recent years.