Choosing a Block Manager
Choosing the right Block Manager for your building is the key to it being managed and maintained to a high standard. It is essential that they have the right skills, knowledge, experience and capacity to deal with the daily challenges of large property management.
We are extremely proud of the growth we have achieved with our Block Management portfolio. All instructions have been generated through recommendation and are testament to the experienced, hard working team we have at Matthews.
What to expect from your Managing Agent
ARMA Professional Accreditation
This gives you peace of mind that they have:
- the right professional experience and length of service,
- service charge funds are being held legally and safely in trust,
- have professional indemnity insurance covering you against inadequate advice and negligence,
- are committed to the RICS Service charge residential management code of practice
- are a member of an independent redress scheme.
- Provide accounting facilities for budgeting and year end accounting and reporting.
Choosing the right managing agent
Whether you are currently managing a block yourselves, have recently acquired the Right to Manage or are thinking of changing your current agent, it is important to consider the following points:
- Ensure the agent has the expertise and experience required to manage your particular block. Every block is unique and has its own peculiarities, so you need an agent who can tailor their services to meet your needs.
- Check they have a robust process for collecting service charges and chasing arrears. No block can be effectively managed if the leaseholders are not paying their service charges on time.
- Arrange to meet the team who will be managing your block. This should be a long-term relationship lasting many years, so you must be confident that you and your fellow leaseholders get on with the people you will be dealing with from the agency.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions about how they would approach specific problems, such as the current state of the finances, relationship with the current agent and how to terminate it, maintenance work required etc.
Block Management Services
We provide a full range of block management services and we are able to tailor our services to meet your requirements.
- Proactive management of the general maintenance and upkeep of the building exterior and communal areas and equipment.
- Arranging Risk Assessments and generating planned preventative maintenance (PPM) schedules to ensure longer term investment security for properties within individual developments.
- Managing contractors and their work on site dealing with repairs.
- Setting up and agreeing the budget for the year.
- Managing client bank account(s) on your behalf, administering and collecting service charges and actively chasing arrears.
- Dealing with management enquiries from leaseholders.
- Understanding and advising on the provisions of leases for matters such as service charges, including implementing the management of sinking funds.
- Arranging buildings and directors’ and officers’ insurance, if required, and dealing with claims.
- Responding to solicitor’s enquiries with regard to the sale of apartments.
- Submitting annual returns to Companies House.
- Arranging the Annual General Meetings (AGM), presenting the budget for the year and providing minutes to all residents.
- Advising on Section 20 procedures.
FREE Service Charge Benchmarking Service
We offer a free benchmarking service to compare your current service charges against similar sized blocks that we manage to give you an idea of likely savings we could make for you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.